Hello all and happy Monday!
As we begin our heavy camp planning season here at the HIS KIDS Cancer Support office, the question of funds always comes up. How is camp funded? Will there be enough this year? Can we add more campers? These questions pop up from the staff, volunteers, clients, and many other interested parties. So, I think this week’s blog will answer a few of those FAQs about Camp HIS KIDS and how it comes to be each year.
1. How is camp funded? Camp HIS KIDS is a long and great week for our campers, and it is also a very costly enterprise. When the budgets are done, the cost for each person to attend camp every year is right around $750! That’s actually pretty reasonable for room, board, and activities throughout the week, but with 150 people on site (including campers, volunteers, medical staff, etc.), the numbers really do add up. Because of the large cost, camp is funded in a variety of ways. We receive grants from private foundations such as the St. Louis Peregrine Socity, KAO Care Camps, and Variety, the Children’s Charity of St. Louis. We also receive many smaller donations from individuals throughout the year. People who want to do what they can to help. Lots of smaller funds still add up to a lot! The camp volunteers also each fund-raise at least $200 to attend camp for the week. This helps to offset the costs of their own room, board, and supplies for the week. People also host smaller fundraising events in their own areas to help us. These fishing derbies, trivia nights, pub crawls, and more help us alot too! So, as you can see, Camp HIS KIDS is a very diversely-funded program.
2. Do you always get enough funds for camp each year? The answer to this is sadly, no. We have a wait list of children every year who would like to attend our camp, but can’t due to restrictions in our budget. We would love to say yes to everyone, but first, we need our funds to support that growth.
3. How can I help if I can’t make my own donation? Not everyone has wiggle room in their budget for a large donation. We are thankful when those come, but there are many other ways to help Camp HIS KIDS. Here are a few ideas:
- Sell raffle tickets for our camp raffle. Tickets are only $5 each and there are LOTS of great prizes! Call the HIS KIDS office today and we can mail you some raffle tickets to sell.
- Help us find camp sponsors. Though you may not be in a position to sponsor camp, you probably know someone who is. One of the easiest, and most effective ways to raise money for camp, is to ASK! Its amazingly simple, but it works! Just shoot an email to your family, friends, and other contacts telling them about how great Camp HIS KIDS is and asking them to make a donation or become a sponsor. The results will astound you! People really are great and generous when given a chance!
- Help find camp supplies. Each year, many people donate actual camp supplies that we need. From arts and crafts items to basic camping gear, each supply donation helps us cut our costs! Visit the Camp HIS KIDS page to find the list of items we need right now.
- Hold an event in your area. Events like trivia nights, quarter auctions, dress down days at school, pub crawls, lemonade stands and more can help raise funds for camp. Call our office if you are interested in holding your own fundraiser.
If you have questions about any of these topics, feel free to comment, reply, email, or call the office. Someone will be there and be happy to answer you. In the meantime, have a great, safe, happy, and healthy week!
Jayme Bellamy, Assistant Executive Director , HIS KIDS Cancer Support